Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ancient Civilizations/Geography/Art/English Lesson 8

1. Please refer to lesson 18 for a handmade map of the world that includes Persia, India and other asian countries.

Definiton of caste:

NOUN

Any of the hereditary, endogamous social classes or subclasses of traditional Hindu society, stratified according to Hindu ritual purity, especially the Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaisya, and Sudra castes.
A social class separated from others by distinctions of hereditary rank, profession, or wealth.

2. Pretend that you are a member of a caste. Write a letter to a friend telling about your life in that particular caste. Describe your day and your feelings as you are forced to stay within a certain group for all of your interactions. Mention things that you might like to do but can't because of your caste.

Spy Hussien Jack

Indochinese Kshatriya Caste Training Academy
Hukishtan, India

January 15, 593

Servant Ganyoaw Namoin
Imperial Palace
Hukishtan, India

Dear “Ganyo”:

I am having a wonderful and horrible time in the Kshatriya Caste. I am very glad there is a secret informer subcaste, or else my catlike stance and sneaking skills would go to waste swinging around swords in the Warrior subcaste. Today I practiced making no sound while walking. This was easy because they gave me socks knitted from yak’s hair. After that a big hairy Cretan (don’t ask how he got to the IKCTA, I have no idea) pinned me to a wall and told me that if I am ever caught, never surrender without a bribe. He did this for an hour until it was drilled into my brain.


After a long day of cartwheels, wall scaling, and karate, I got a room full of Warriors to sleep with. The next day, the troll’s message was “Reconnaissance is the key to success.”
There are many things I wish I could do but can’t. I even have to deliver these letters secretly myself (I hope you are burning these like I said!). I can’t visit my sister, mother, or father. I can’t even write to them.

I hope you realize how lucky you are to have a secret friend
All I have for friends are a bunch of bloodlusts and highbrow rulers. Maybe that’s my problem. I’m lonely.

Yours truly,
Jack



3. History of Indian Dance


The dance tradition of India is at least 5000 years old. A dancing girl figurine was found in the ruins of Mohenjodaro and is dated at roughly 2nd Century B.C. Many group dancing scenes are depicted in detailed rock paintings. The wall paintings of Ajanta and Ellora, the sculptures of Khajuraho, the temple walls of Hoysala dynasty (So many odd words!), stand sufficient evidence for popularity of Indian dances from ancient times.


Through the centuries the dances have been used as a means of worship and expression of emotion in India. The temple dancers led very strict lives in order to perform sacred dances to please Gods and Goddesses.



A Portuguese traveler visited the Vijayanagar kingdom in 1520-22 A.D., and has left behind a dramatic description of the dancers he saw in the kingdom. He visited special dancing halls where maiden were given demanding training. The walls were decorated with paintings depicting a variety of dancing poses which helped the dancers to correct their steps. The king himself took interest in their dance education and occasionally visited these halls. During the Navaratri festival celebrations the dance performances were given great importance. The dancers were adorned with many ornaments, made out of gold, pearls, and diamonds.


The Indian dances have sprung from myths of the goddess Nataraja. Their dramatic contents are based on other mythological lore of the country. The dance technique is based on a few ancient treatises. The Indian dances consist of three different types. "Nritta" is simple dance with movements of body and limbs. "Nritya" is linked with facial expressions, hand gestures and body poses. "Natya" has the elements of a drama which is introduced through the use of spoken world. All the types involve the use of "mudras", which are well developed types of gestures during the dance. The dancers use their entire body to communicate with the audience.

The major Indian classical dances are: Bharata Natyam, Kathakali, Kathak and Manipuri, Kuchipudi, Odissi and Mohini Attam. In addition, there are many folk and tribal dances spread all over the country.

An Odissi dancer

No comments: